The holidays are almost here and they are always a busy time for Florida homeowners. Most families spend considerable time decorating and preparing for holiday celebrations with family and friends. Your Tampa home inspectors from Beryl Project Engineering wish for everyone to have a safe and blessed holiday season. Here is a handy holiday safety checklist of things to remember this season.
Stringing lights and erecting displays are all part of many holiday celebrations. But these can be some of the riskiest tasks. Remember to be safe and take the necessary precautions when decorating this year.
- Observe proper ladder safety when hanging lights and decorations
- Only use approved lights in good condition
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets or using long extension cords
- Keep candles away from flammable materials
- Keep candles and matches away from children
- Lift heavy boxes of décor using your legs and not your back
- Make sure that lights and cords do not constitute a trip hazard
Test Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Recent reports from the NFPA indicate that, “Three of every five home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms (38%) or no working smoke alarms (21%).” Holiday cooking and extra decorative lighting can pose extra risks for fire. Check each smoke and carbon monoxide detector to make sure it is in working order and replace the batteries.
It is also a good idea to review the locations of these detectors. You may want to install additional smoke detectors near bedrooms if none are nearby. This is especially true for upstairs bedrooms. Install carbon monoxide detectors in the kitchen and near any fireplaces, stoves or furnaces.
Be Safe in the Kitchen
Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and related injuries. These fires peak on Thanksgiving Day and reach the second-highest on Christmas Day. Your Tampa home inspectors from Beryl ask that you review this Cooking Safety Tip Sheet from The National Fire Protection Association. It contains important tips for kitchen and cooking safety for the holidays. Some more important reminders include:
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby all cooking areas, including outdoor grills and deep fryers.
- Know how to handle grease fires – place the lid on flaming grease in pots and never throw water on a grease fire.
- Never wear dangling clothing that could catch on handles or hang down into hot surfaces while cooking.
- Make sure appliances are clean and in good working order.
- Unplug and store any appliances not in use.
- Maintain a three-foot kid-free zone around any areas where cooking is taking place.
Schedule a Safety Review with One of Our Tampa Home Inspectors
Many homeowners never think of a home inspection after purchasing their home. But problems develop over time as you live in and use the home’s systems and components. Tampa home inspectors can perform a comprehensive home inspection that can reveal minor issues before they become major problems and expenses.
There is no better time to meet with Tampa home inspectors than right before the holidays. Holiday celebrations are busy times that place stresses on some of your home’s vital systems. Schedule a review with one of Beryl’s Tampa home inspectors before stringing holiday lights, climbing on the roof to erect displays and beginning all your extra holiday cooking. Be sure that your home is sound and free of safety risks this holiday season.
Call Beryl Project Engineering at 813-616-3301 or contact us through online messaging to arrange for one of our Tampa home inspectors to evaluate your home’s condition. We are licensed, insured and certified to perform home inspections in Florida for all your needs.